Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Today was Austin's first day of school!  He was very excited!


I didn't take any pictures of Gavin today but we switched to Winslow Homer as our artist for September.  He was a painter during the mid to late 1800s.  Our composer is Franz Schubert.  Our Bible verse is:
 
Psalm 15
 
Lord, who may dwell in your sacred tent?
Who may live on your holy mountain?
2 The one whose walk is blameless,
who does what is righteous,
who speaks the truth from their heart;
3 whose tongue utters no slander,
who does no wrong to a neighbor,
and casts no slur on others;
4 who despises a vile person
but honors those who fear the Lord;
who keeps an oath even when it hurts,
and does not change their mind;
5 who lends money to the poor without interest;
who does not accept a bribe against the innocent.
Whoever does these things
will never be shaken.
Our poem is:
 
The Arrow and the Song
by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
 
I shot an arrow into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For, so swiftly it flew, the sight
Could not follow it in its flight.

I breathed a song into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For who has sight so keen and strong,
That it can follow the flight of song?

Long, long afterward, in an oak
I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end,
I found again in the heart of a friend.      
 
We are still reading a biography about Longfellow so I thought a poem by him this month would be appropriate.  Gavin and I have started Charlie and the Chocolate Factory before bed.  We finished forest habitat today and will start pond habitat on Thursday. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment