Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Baby's Room

The baby's room is about 95% complete!  Done enough to share pictures finally since we got the crib bedding on Friday.  It's beautiful and exactly what I wanted so I am very excited!

I did not want a theme in the room or a baby-ish room.  I wanted a room that is feminine , that works for a girl of any age and time.  I went with a shabby chic look with soft colors and lots of pretty, feminine fabrics.  I took lots of pictures...here they are!

The first few pictures are just general pictures.  This is from the doorway looking in.  I do have plans for something to go over the crib.  Hopefully it will be ordered this week but it includes her name and I think it will be really nice.  The green on the wall is called Guilford Green by Benjamin Moore.  The curtains and slip cover to the glider I made a couple months ago.  They are white with a pink toile of children playing.  In the back corner over the glider is a bird mobile.  It's hard to see but I took a closer picture below.

This is the wall opposite the crib (standing next to the crib).

Another thing that needs to be done is there was a romantic poem about a woman with this little girl's name written in the 1500s.  (There's a clue if you really want to start researching poems written in the 1500s!)  I copied it on a piece of paper with a fairy border and I am going to frame it and put it behind her chair under the chair-rail since it's for her.  That should be done this week too! 

And, this is from the window looking back at the door (the one on the left is a closet, the one on the right goes into the hallway).  You can see the ballerina bow holder I made hanging on the door.  Someday there will be a dollhouse bookcase between the doors that Steven has promised to make for her.  The books you see on the floor are waiting for their home.  It will also hold baskets for toys and supplies until she wants to use it as a dollhouse.


The bookcase should look something like this:
Here are some close up pictures of different things.  These are the shelves on the right of the dresser/hutch above her little chair.  Random baby in the picture frame.  Both frames are waiting for pictures of us.  I'm hoping to get a couple good pictures of the baby with her big brothers to put in them.

Here is the dresser/hutch.  I wasn't going to do anything 'princess-y' but you can see that there is a picture of a pink glittery castle.  The headband holder I made out of an Quaker oatmeal box is on the bottom left of the hutch (to the left of the changing pad).  Most of the things in the hutch were either in Gavin's room when he was a baby (he graciously offered to share without my even asking).  Some of the things were in my room when I was a little girl.

Here is a little closer of the bed although I didn't get a great shot of the bedding.  The fabrics are in the blanket on the back of the bed (which will obviously not be there when the baby is put in the crib).  I debated on whether or not to get a blanket but I'm glad I did because it's the size of a throw blanket so she'll be able to use it a lot when she is older, as a blanket in a toddler bed and a throw when she's bigger.  I got two sheets.  One is green.  The green has little white polka dots that you can't see in the picture and one is the blue with the pink cabbage roses.  The bumper is in four sections so we can take off just the front one and use the other three when we convert the crib to a toddler bed.  The front is the blue with pink cabbage roses and the back is a really soft, pink minky material.  It has a pink ribbon around it and the ties.  The crib skirt has wide pink stripes and is trimmed with the blue with pink cabbage roses fabric.  I also got a matching changing pad cover in the blue roses fabric.

Here is the bird mobile that is over the glider.  The birds spin around throughout the day.

I picked up this lamp at a garage sale before Austin was born because I thought the bunnies were so cute and it would be perfect in a little girl's room.  I'm glad I did!  I added the pink flowers to the shade because it looked really bare to me and I thought it needed a little something extra.  The table was in my mom's basement not being used so I spray painted it 'ballerina pink' and it works perfectly in the corner by the glider.

Here's a picture of the glider.  It's a little wrinkly because I've been sitting in it!

This is a picture of the hutch.  I love the print!  It's Marie Antoinette and says, "Let them eat cupcakes!"  Poor Marie Antoinette!  But it made me laugh and I love her dress. 

Most of you probably know that Gavin is obsessed with nutcrackers and passed this love down to his little brother this year.  When we went to the Nutcracker ballet before Christmas, Gavin saw this pink, glittery nutcracker and insisted his sister had to have it for her room (the boys have a nutcracker that stays in their room all year).  It's an ornament so it's only about six inches tall.

Here are the pictures on the wall.  They kind of make the room a little theme-y because they all have bunnies in them like the lamp but I don't think it's overboard with bunnies.  Although I did have a couple stuffed bunnies from when I was a kid downstairs and I brought them up and put them in the hutch but I still don't think it's an obvious bunny theme. 

Anyway, I found these original watercolor paintings on Etsy from this seller: http://www.etsy.com/shop/GHART.  He does beautiful work at great prices.  The paintings are about 12 X 16 so they are framed with a 16 X 20 frame.



Well, there it is!  I am so excited that the room is just about done.  All the necessary things are done at least.  All that's left is the decoration for over the crib, getting a frame for her poem and the bookcase.  I hope you like it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment