Monday, June 7, 2010

Gardening

I thought the picture above was a better start than anything I could write. As spring comes to a close, we are starting to see the fruits of all our labor in the garden. We have all played a part in this. Kristyn and Gavin started most of the garden plants from seeds in the house before spring officially sprang. Cucumbers, zucchini, and tomatoes all got their starts in egg cartons, used paper towel rolls, and egg shells. I built the raised garden beds and filled them with good soil and peat moss. Kristyn transplanted the seedlings she started in the house and some tomato plants the neighbor gave us, and I supplemented those with some tomato plants we got from Uncle R.G. Kristyn also bought a strawberry plant and sowed carrot seeds directly into the garden. I've done the weeding, and Kristyn and I shared watering duties. This Saturday I put some of the tomatoes in wire cages (the ones being overwhelmed by the zucchini), and others I staked.



The cucumbers all died, save one plant that is hanging in there and has several blossoms. The tomatoes are growing at varying rates, with several blossoms as well. The carrot seeds were scattered from their rows by the dogs, but we do have a fair number of carrots growing, just not in a neat row. And, as is abundantly clear from the pictures to follow, we will be giving zucchini to anyone who will take them by the end of the summer!



























Sunday evening Gavin and I went up to Uncle R.G.'s garden to pick cherries. These are sour cherries, best for pies and cherry crumble. I brought my six foot ladder and a couple of grocery bags, and we picked about two gallons. The trees were absolutely loaded with cherries.










The people (Butch and Betty) who own the land where R.G. gardens also have a stable and grazing land for a number of horses. After we picked cherries, Gavin got to meet the horses.










After meeting the horses we checked out the rest of the garden. Next to the garden is a mulberry tree, and we found the berries ripe and delicious! I would've taken pictures of Gavin picking and eating mulberries, but I was too busy doing the same thing.


After we got home (two hours past Gavin's bedtime), I stayed up until about midnight pitting cherries. The gallon bag on the left is filled with pitted cherries. Next to that is the pile of pits I produced. To the right is the bowl of cherries remaining to be pitted tonight. Tedious work, but I'm sure the baked goods to follow will make it all worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment