Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Watercolor Owls

Today we continued learning about owls.  We will skip tomorrow but hopefully finish with owls on Friday.  Today we read almost the whole section about owls in our Liberty Christian Reader, then Gavin and I made owl pictures using basic shapes and Gavin and Austin painted the owls with watercolors.  I think this was the first time Austin has used watercolors and he did a great job!
While they waited for their pictures to dry, Austin played with his race cars and Gavin read in Dick and Jane.

And here are their paintings!
I told you yesterday that Gavin is working on his own bird book.  Here are the pages he has done so far: cardinal, owl and eagle.  He is picking the birds he wants to draw and the sentence he wants to write about them. 

The cardinal is eating a worm and it says, 'Cardinals are red'.
I have to admit, I helped him make the owls' head.  Otherwise you wouldn't have been able to tell what it was.  It says 'The Great Horned Owl's horns are really feathers'.
And I also helped with the eagle head...I know I should let him do it himself!  But he is finally coloring in the lines for the most part!  The eagle says, 'Eagles steal other birds fish'.
Here are the books we've read.
We are on Chapter 29 of 45 so we should be done in about a week since we average 2 or 3 chapters a day.
And we have one more chapter of Mrs. Piggle Wiggle.  Gavin thinks this book is very funny.
That's it for today!


No comments:

Post a Comment