Wednesday, August 24, 2011

This morning Austin continued learning about letter A by glueing apples onto a tree.  He is getting fairly independent with the glue stick and I didn't have to help him at all which is nice for both of us!



Then I wrote an 'A' and an 'E' on a piece of paper and gave Austin an elephant stamp and an apple stamp.  He put the elephant in the letter 'E' and the apple in the letter 'A'.



Gavin is improving a lot at sounding out words.

In math we are still learning parts that make a whole.  Today we did a word problem and figured out the parts to the whole.  The issue was the word problem said something like, "Tommy has five dog biscuits to give to dogs named Toby and Samson.  How many dog biscuits could Tommy give Toby and how many to Samson?" 

Well obviously 5 is an odd number, and in our house if you don't give the dogs the same number of dog biscuits there are problems so Gavin was a little stressed that he couldn't give both the dogs the same number of dog biscuits.  He wanted to give them both two and save one for later!  Eventually I told him that he could give them both two and break the last one in half and he liked that idea but it didn't get the answer we were supposed to get.  But, we did get it worked out 1 and 4 or 2 and 3, etc.



We worked on grouping 10s on the abacus.

In science we did a demenstration to show why it takes some planets longer to orbit around the sun then others.  The sun was on the table, I stood next to the table with Earth and Gavin was Jupiter on the other side of the room.  So he had to orbit 3 times and see how many times I could orbit in the same amount of time since I was closer to the sun.

Then Gavin put planet stickers in order.

Last month I took a couple of sewing machine classes at a local sewing shop.  I practiced making tote bags and now I'm making pajamas for Gavin.  They are far from perfect, but they are wearable and he really likes them!  I'm getting better at getting the sleeves on but the collar leaves something to be desired.  These have construction trucks on them.

Austin and I read this book this morning.

We are reading about Abraham in our Bible.


Gavin and I read these books today.



No comments:

Post a Comment